ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Five Good Hours

Yesterday afternoon, I pushed everything else out of the way for a while -- reading, the wife, life, the Mets (who weren't on until later) -- and drove to a coffee shop, armed with a very rough copy of my supernatural thriller.

And there I sat, for five hours, totally immersed in my script. Page by page, pen marking, correcting, cutting, cutting, cutting. Feeling the script; what needed to go, what needed to be hammered home a little more, what needed to be dropped in.

Chopping out the repetitive and the extraneous, and bidding it a fond adieu.

Five hours, and it felt like 90 minutes.

I love when that happens. When I'm so involved in something that time just flies by, yet I'm getting something accomplished.

Last night, I got on my laptop, and started typing in all the changes. I finished this morning.

This draft is down to a tight 115 pages. It's almost there, I think. I can't tell, because my brain hurts.

But nothing beats being able to carve out the time to really curl up with your script, in one, solid, long sitting.

That the Mets won, and are moving on, and the Yankees lost, and are done for the year, is just gravy :-)

7 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Systemaddict said...

Sweet man. Nothing better than your team winning, a hated team losing...and finding the groove.

Sweet

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go mets!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude... I totally know that feeling. It's awesome.

'Tis a crying shame though, it hasn't happened to me in months.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I remember those days. I used to spend lunch hours with my script - until co-workers started coming over and interrupting me.

Glad you made some time. It's always a hard thing to do, but you feel better having done it.

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Tigers! People can't believe we beat the Yankees but there is a reason why we had the best record in baseball for a long time.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Happy for you for your Mets, but I don't think they can take St. Louis.

But you're right, I love getting a huge chunk of a script done in one sitting. Matter of fact, I'm aiming for that tonight!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I think you just payed it forward. Today I did that. Thanks for spreading the inspiration around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home