ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, November 13, 2008

What To Write

My hour-a-day pledge lasted about 17 days, until last Friday, when I missed a day. Still, I've been writing regularly since.

I'm determined to get a semi-polished rough draft of this dark thriller done by the end of the week; about about 78 pages into at this point, and I know everything to come.

Though I woke up yesterday morning with a very dark thought about how to spin one late sequence to make it even more cruelly memorable. I told my wife about it, and she cringed.

I'm going to need therapy for this script. And E.C., if it's ever a movie, you aren't allowed to see it.

When this draft is done, I'm going to throw it to the side for at least 3 weeks, see I can reapproach it in December and polish it up to a shine. It's getting there though.

Meanwhile, I'm already thinking about what to write next. It's going to have to be something fun, because my brain needs that. Probably one of two projects that I've put a lot of early brainstorming (and a couple of false starts) into in the past.

I'm coming into the time of the year when Hollywood shuts down for the holidays, and the reading biz is dead, which I need to take advantage of by letting my writing side fire on all cylinders.

Next year is going to be the year I sell something.

In the meantime, rent does need to be paid, so if anyone needs notes in the next two months, I'm more than available, and turnaround will undoubtedly be fast.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger marcoguarda said...

It looks like 2009 will be ripe with surprises.

[winkwinkwinkwinkwink]

M.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Congradulations on all your writing successes, Scott. Sounds like you're real happy with how it's coming out. THAT'S the biggest thing. YOU have to be convinced it's good before you can expect others to like your work.

"... aren't allowed to see it?" What's that all about?! Sometimes I like to mix it up and see something a little different. "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pan's Labryinth" aren't stories I naturally gravitate towards, but I'm so glad I saw them, as they both stirred my creativity (albeit in a manner I'm sure their authors didn't think it would). So if your masterpiece does get made I can't wait to see it. Heck, I'll make my $9 donation to the Bonney Lake multiplex to ANY pre-pro writer who manages to get their stuff made.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home