ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Monday, October 27, 2008

When Everything Snaps Into Place

So after an unfocused summer in which I completely lost touch with my write-for-an-hour-a-day mantra, it's back on again.

Today will be Day 7.

And something surprising happened over the weekend. I'm still working on my dark thriller, and I always had a basic roadmap for where it was going; I just hadn't worked out the specifics of the journey.

I've been bringing 20-page chunks into group, and after some false starts I figured out a few things.

But all my character brainstorming last week broke the logjam. On Friday night, I found myself writing (in longhand) what happens beat by beat in the second half.

Yesterday I fleshed out a major subplot. And it's all working. It's all there.

Sick and disturbing, but there.

Now I just have to write it. An hour a day. Won't take that long.

Feeling good.


*********

High School Musical 3 made an estimated $42 million over the weekend. I guarantee that brains at Disney are churning trying to figure out how to get them all left back at school for another year.

Saw V made a very strong $30.5 million. More good news for me, because tonally my new script is more than a little Saw-like, for better or worse.

Pride and Glory limped in with about $6.3 million, about what I predicted.

3 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger marcoguarda said...

YAY!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Glad to hear your doing well on the writing front, Scott. Writing is such an odd bird. Sometimes it's like your seat and butt both share the magnetic polarity and they repell each other. Other times it's rollin', and then it's time to go the paying job, and you lament momentum lost. Life tends not to be conducive to one's writing productivity.

Ride the mo, Scott. Hope your story turns out to be something truly special.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger JUST ME said...

Hope your screenwriting group is better than my old one.

Bunch of weird nerds who never laughed at any of my jokes. And some of them were funny.

Certain people can't laugh at jokes written by a chick on principle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home