ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In Computer Transition

So we finally bought a new desktop computer on Saturday, a cheap-ish HP from Best Buy, to replace our ancient Gateway, which in human years needs a walker and doesn't have one.

I'm not a big computer download-frenzy geek. All I need to be able to do is write, go on the Internet, and print. Not major demands.

One out of three? That really isn't working for me.

I bought Microsoft Word for my laptop last year, and successfully loaded the extra copy on the desktop. All good.

But when I went to hook up my DSL, I got a weird error message, and it wouldn't take the disk info.

It also won't recognize the printer driver disk either, despite the fact that it's also an HP.

So after fruitless hours on hold with tech support yesterday afternoon, today I'm going to track down a Geek Squad member, and rough them up if I have too.

Can't be too hard; they have those little spindly geek arms.

*****

I had pages up in group last night, and it went pretty well. My thriller is growing, and I got some great suggestions from the gang last night.

I keep falling off my hour-a-day thing, but I've probably written 9 of the last 11 days, so I'm not feeling like such a lazy ass.

*****

Solid weekend at the box office last weekend. BURN AFTER READING did $19.1 million. TYLER PERRY'S THE FAMILY THAT PRAYS did $17.3 million.

RIGHTEOUS KILL did a pretty good $16.2 million. THE WOMEN did $10.1.

PROUD AMERICAN did $135,000 in 750 theaters. That's $180 per theater for the whole weekend, or about 25 people per theater for 12-15 shows, or about 2 people a show.

So if you're looking for some quiet place to have sex...

3 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

And it's fixed. Hallejulah. No thanks to the geeks...

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Glad to hear your writing group is helpful, your new computer is meeting your needs, and your creative life is going well. Sounds like you're on a roll, Scott. Any chance you might be able to help those ol' boyz on Wall Street out? Owch! Things are lookin' bleak. Me thinks it's time to invest in gold, cand foods, shotgun shells, and reknew that buncker dug out in the in the backyard... BUT not at the expence of the writing. Ah yes, the precious writing...

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Sabina E. said...

it's Ramadan. I'm not supposed to see any new movies in the cinema. sigh. So I gotta wait for 2 more weeks before Ramadan is over so I can go see BURN AFTER READING. can't wait. whooohooooooooo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home