ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, July 04, 2008

Weekend Box Office #91

Nice long holiday weekend. I've got my workload down to a manageable level, so I'm taking the day off today, and hitting the coast with the wife.

I also plan to see some movies this weekend --I'm falling behind.

HANCOCK (3965 theaters). This actually opened on Wednesday (Tuesday night in some theaters) and it's doing pretty well, despite the fact that occording to a lot of critics the movie takes a weird twist halfway through that's not reflected in the commercials and doesn't really work. It's gotten more bad reviews than good, but I still hope to see it this weekend, and then I'll weigh in. Figure it'll do about $66.4 million for the 3-day weekend, though it'll be interesting to see what the word of mouth is and how that affects things.

KIT KITTREDGE: AN AMERICAN GIRL (1843 theaters). This must have one of the most limited audiences of any movie that has come out for a while; I'm not sure there are enough little girls thrilled about this movie to put up big numbers. $5.2 million for the weekend.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Christian H. said...

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, as did the packed theater I saw it in.

This so-called twist was pretty well-done to me and happened as a subplot rather than the change in direction for the story.

In the end it is an origin story for a superhero. There is actually MORE than enough to make a sequel.

It can even be ground in the reality of home and family.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Looking forward to seeing "Hancock" after reading a little bit about it in a Seattle Times review. A superhero with a drinking problem who ends up gettting into a love triangle with a PR guy and his wife. THAT sounds interesting.

"Kit Kittredge" isn't for me, but it looks like a good movie to see if you're like 8 years old, or if you have the kind of brain that says "I'm 8 years old."

Good job on the husband front, Scott, going out on vaccation with the wife. You're an inspiration in more ways than one. Don't have a wife of my own, but maybe I'll buy a pet rock to get me acclimated... (Joke) Anyway, I hope you two have lots of fun.

Spending a lot of time line editing that romantic comedy. It's almoast done. Sorry for the long delay. Wish I could have gotten it to you before the 4th of July because my latest offering has a distinct "American" feel to it. Hopefully I'll have it in the mail for you on Monday. It's close...

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to like you, EC, but lately your schtick has gotten old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home