ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, July 06, 2007

Weekend Boxoffice #39

So it's officially a big dumb popcorn summer now, with Transformers dominating the box office. It already set the record for a Tuesday(when it opened), which is a weird distinction because most movies have already been out 4-6 days before the Tuesday rolls around.

Might be a good weekend to spend a whole day in a theater, enjoying the AC (it has been triple-digits around here) and sneaking into as many movies as possible. Did I say sneaking? I meant enjoying. Without paying. Except for the first one, and always pick one that deserves it.

TRANSFORMERS (4011 screens). This has already made $60-70 million in its first three days, but it'll still have a pretty big weekend. I think the release pattern will stop it from being huge huge, but I'll take a wild guess and estimate $85.5 million for Friday-Sunday.

LICENSE TO WED (2604 screens). Sadly, it has now become clear that Robin Williams will star in just about anything if you pay him enough. I like John Krasinski, but not enough to see this, and the early numbers (it also opened on Wednesday) agree. Look for it to do about $7.4 million over the weekend.

Otherwise, Ratatouie should make over $30 million, Die Hard 4 over $20 million, and Sicko expands to 704 screens (though the review in The New Yorker magazine really shreds it).

7 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger aggiebrett said...

I know these people are out there, but for the life of me I cannot understand the supposed draw of this TRANSFORMERS movie. There are folks for whom this craptacular series is some sort of cherished memory? Criminy-- that's like me saying that I've been sitting here wishing for a feature version of "Lassie's Rescue Rangers" or a big screen treatment of "The Banana Splits."

And you say it's already made money? Surely anyone who wants to see this thing has already seen it (twice, apparently, if box office is to be believed...).

RATATOUILLE, meanwhile, stands as yet another Pixar homerun, IMO. I'd gladly pay full price to see it at least two more times, and I'll snap it up on DVD the day it becomes available.
.
.
.
B

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

I'm kinda intreaged to see "License to Wed" just to see how that guy from NBC's "The Office" does as a romantic comedy male lead. This could be the start of a good run for him. He's just has the look of slacker/underacheiver in life who people will root for in the movies. AND he's got a dynamite smile -- hey if I was a chick I'd date him.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I'll see License to Wed in the theater because I wrote two wedding comedies and am curious on that front. Though I haven't enjoyed Robin Williams' last few projects. Hard to believe he was responsible for that excellent, understated performance in the Birdcage a decade ago...

Transformers? No way. My boyfriend went with his brother this afternoon while I was at work.

I saw Ratatouille a few days ago and loved it. I may see it one more time in the theater. I felt like I already knew the story going it, but still, it was so well done, I'd love to take the ride a second time. Peter O'Toole -- he's the highlight. And the guy who voices Remy does a great job.

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm kinda intreaged to see "License to Wed" just to see how that guy from NBC's "The Office" does as a romantic comedy male lead."

EC-

He's been waiting for your feedback.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett-

re" I cannot understand the supposed draw of this TRANSFORMERS movie."

People that think with their hearts and their wallets. They know how to love, they have mastered how to feel, they are you, they are me, they are...America.

We are Bay.

Out and out,

Cliff

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Thanks for the reply, Cliff. I plan on queering that guy from "The Office" once I know his name, as I've written a screwball comedy scipt that he'd be perfect as a lead in...

"Knock a little louder, sugar!"

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I hope you mean "querying" ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home