ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, November 03, 2006

Weekend Boxoffice #6

I'm not sure why it's family film weekend this weekend, but the only two movies opening wide are The Santa Clause 3 and Flushed Away.

(Borat is also opening, but only on about 800 screens).

I guess the idea is that these movies will still be playing through the Thanksgiving break, but honestly, The Santa Clause 3 looks like such srtident, shrill crap that it's hard to believe it won't be completely dead by then.

Still, though Flushed Away is likely the better movie, I really don't think they are selling it that well; I've seen a ton of commercials, and none of them grabbed my brain, even though I like this type of animation.

So, though both will do a little something-something, my prediction is:

The Santa Clause 3 $20.1 million
Flushed Away $16.1 million

Saw III will probably drop off a lot, and bring in about $15 million or so. Borat? Maybe $10 million this weekend, if it clicks. Though in 2 weeks, it'll probably be making more than all these movies.

Your predictions? (And is anyone honestly eager to rush out and see either Santa Clause 3 or Flushed Away? Do you have kids that are intrigued by either movie?)

12 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Borat! Borat! Borat!

I'll see it three times to make up for the limited release.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wouldnt be surprised if borat open at 20 mill and proceeds to make over 150 mill. He's that funny!

- Allen

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Systemaddict said...

I actually think Borat will do well, even on a limited screen run.

The hype is there, and so far (from what I've read) it's completely justified. I'd actually expect them to add somewhere between 200-400 screens the second week.

I say- Borat between 15-20

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm recently interested to see how successful Borat is. All the trailers I've seen look terrific. They made me want to go see it. If it's as funny and brilliant as it looks, it'll confirm my old-fashioned belief system that the really good movies will find an audience.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger The Dude Speaks said...

Borat will surprise all, unless all the hype turns into another Snakes on a Plane.

I must admit a small desire to see Flushed Away, but then I found out it wasn't stop motion but CG.

Either way, Santa Clause will sadly walk away with a lot.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Steve Peterson said...

With 800 theaters, it'll be hard to do really big numbers. But, at todays 3 o'clock showing in San Antonio, TX, a hotbed of liberalism --- NOT, the theater had a bigger crowd than for The Departed when I saw that on opening day.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I hope Borat kicks ass, and I'm thinking Flushed Away will be good, too. Let me see:

1. Borat - 21 million (it's possible, Fahrenheit 911 did 23+ million on 800+ screens in 2004).

2. Flushed Away - 18 million
3. Satan Clause 3 - 14 million

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I totally forgot that "Juliet" of LOST was Mrs. Clause. Santa better watch his back... she's probably fostering dissent amongst the elves.

I have 6 kids, and these movies look so bad, we're not going to see either one.

They're opening this weekend because they can't compete with usual glurge that comes out on the holidays.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Wow. Official Friday box office estimated grosses are in --

Santa Clause 3 $5.2 million
Flushed Away $4.6 million
Borat $9 million

Borat's per screen average for Friday was around $10,800 -- almost 9 times that of Flushed Away.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Okay, just a report back. I did manage to see Borat today with my sister. She didn't really want to go, but I talked her into it. As the movie progressed, she became more and more uncomfortable. When we walked out, she said she hated it even more than she thought she would. However, I loved it and so did the two guys sitting next to us, who were roaring with laughter.

Definitely not for the faint of heart. We saw it a 3:45 PM show in Santa Rosa, a city about 60 miles north of SF that's much more conservative than SF. The theater was 3/4 full. I'll be very interested to see how it does over the next 4 weeks. I can't imagine that it'd play well in the midwest, but who knows.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that he was speaking hebrew...

- Allen

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger wcdixon said...

Wow - did you see the final tally for Borat this weekend? On so few screens. Amazing. It didn't even make a screen in my neck o'...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home