ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Sunday, October 29, 2006

An Odd Movie Weekend

So after catching only one movie in theaters in the past few months (The Departed), I made a concerted effort to get out this weekend and actually see some stuff.

I wound up seeing two movies that are about as different as can be.

Saturday's movie was Jackass 2, aka the-latest-sign-that-our-civilization-is-going-into-the-toilet. The refined part of me was appalled that the unrefined part of me throughly enjoyed it. The unrefined part of me then knocked down the refined part and took a dump on his face.

Jackass 2 is pretty easy to review. If you liked the first one, if you liked the series, you'll probably like the second. I doubt I've ever laughed more while watching a movie, but your results may vary.

The weird thing about Jackass is that it has a huge heterosexual male audience despite the fact that it is really rather gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). There is copious nudity in the movie, all of it male, while I don't think there's a woman under 50 in the entire film.

The odd thing is that, despite all of the horrible, disturbing things in the movie (including a leech attaching itself to an eyeball, something even I couldn't watch), the only thing that they had to censor to get the R rating was a shot of someone drinking some horse sperm.

Apparently all the testicle shots were somehow less objectionable.

Sunday's movie was The Queen, which manages to pull an involving drama out of what initially seems like impossible subject matter, in the reaction of the Queen of England to the death of Princess Diana. I can't even imagine how you'd sell that project in a room.

It took me a little while to get into it, but by the end I was wrapped up in the tale, and it's worth seeing.

I can almost guarantee that I may have been the only person seeing both of those movies on consecutive days, though. Not a lot of audience overlap there.

7 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger deepstructure said...

a movie with male nudity in it is gay? oh boy...apres moi the deluge...

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Danny Stack said...

Hi Scott

Here in the UK, The Queen has been well-received but some critics have pointed out that it's a TV movie, and are wary of the increasing trend of "TV material" being used for the cinema.

Do you think this is the case with The Queen? I haven't seen it yet but am always interested in the Cinema Vs TV debate. I think that even a low-concept domestic-drama flick can be cinematic if its themes and drama are resonant enough, but some want visual scope too, not just dramatic postures.

I would certainly think that The Queen has cinematic potential because of its internationally accessible premise but does it live up to the demands of the big screen?

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I guess it doesn't feel like a TV movie in America because they rarely make this sort of stuff for TV here; the only time you'd see it on TV is if it's public television, running something British :-)

And ironically, critics in America seem to complain more that most movies being made for a theatrical release are big-scope films aimed at huge audiences. So U.S. critics tend to love when a smaller movie breaks out like this.

Interesting.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Systemaddict said...

Jackass was a good time...

The Queen, though, I think I'll catch on DVD. Hasn't really interested me, simply as a result of not knowing a single thing about the film- with the exception in some schooled 'history'.

Did they market this thing? Am I blind?

Scott- are you going to go see The Prestige? I made a long as post that will ruin lots of it for you- but I'd be interested to see what you thought, if you're going to go check it out.

Cheers

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Sys -- The Prestige is probably at the top of my list right now.

Deep -- I only call it "gay" because it's a movie whose greatest audience is young men, that has a lot -- and exclusively -- male nudity in it. And I'm sure it's fans would be uncomfortable thinking about it.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

It's probably not hard to sell character dramas when you're Stephen Frears.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

So far, the boys haven't seen Jackass 2 but the first Jackass is on the college boy's shelf. Horse sperm. Uh. Huh. Here's hoping he's growing more refined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home