ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Scott the Writer

So right now, kismet is teasing me.

You have to understand something about me. I'm a rather fast writer, when I have the time. But I never have the time. I've been a fulltime reader for well over a decade now, and it's impossible for me to write when I'm busy reading.

I can count the number of days in the past year in which I didn't do any reading on one hand, and still have fingers left over.

So it's a fantasy of mine to actually have a chance to do nothing but write. To have that actually be my day job.

And right now, fate is telling me to put up or shut up. Because for the last two days, I have gotten zero work to do.

I actively read scripts and books for 6 different companies. Aside from a book I got on Monday and finished Tuesday morning, none has given me anything all week long.

My $60 notes? The pile is empty.

So all of a sudden, completely randomly and unexpectedly (the pre-Labor Day lull usually isn't THIS bad), I have

nothing

to

do

but

write.

And writing is what I need to do. Because right now, the iron is as hot as it might ever get. This is my shot to get an agent. My shot to move this writing thing from the back burner to the front, before the burner gets turned off.

So in stories like this, the main character either can't write, and gets very drunk instead, or he goes into a crazy writing jag.

Fortunately for me, it's the latter.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I sat down and:

- Did yet another pass on the still-incredibly-low-paid rewrite I'm doing for the producer friend. The damned thing keeps getting better every draft, but then we get on the phone, and he gives me a double-handful of perfectly good notes, and then I go rewrite a sequence or 8 and elevate it up another level. It's still not a horror/thriller masterpiece, but I still give it credit for helping me get into writing gear, and what the hell, the end is in sight. I think. Hopefully I'm getting karmic brownie points somewhere.

- Did a few more pages of my own original horror script, the one I outlined late last year, wrote about 35 pages of, then stuck in a drawer. Now it's out of the drawer, because I need something to work on between attacks on the low-paid rewrite, and my waiting to get notes back from friends on the supernatural thriller I finished a draft of a few weeks ago. It's still very bloody, and rife with sex. I know, you want to read it. It's still only about 43 pages long though.

- But then I went to the coffee shop and started ripping apart the third act of my supernatural thriller anyway, based on ideas that were spurred by a conversation with a friend who did read it. After reworking a large chunk of the script, when I came home (and then after the wife went to bed) I pounded out about 10 pages of the new stuff on that draft. I'll finish it tomorrow, and then swap it out for the last draft with the friends who haven't read it yet.

- I even got a chance to spend a couple of hours with the wife, including our nightly game of Scrabble. But the fall TV season better start soon, because I'm tired of reruns of "Dog: The Bounty Hunter", which is literally the only thing on Wednesday nights now.

All in all, a productive, satisfying day.

Could I live the writing life full time?

Absolutely. Bring it on.

8 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Blogger AMERICAN RESTOP said...

Come on now... DOG?

Hey... Scrabble is cool -- especially with the wife... You gotta make the time for things like THAT.

You write fast, right? DOG's gotta be worth another 7 to 10 pages... LOL.

Good stuff.

Unk

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Dante Kleinberg said...

Writing full-time is my fantasy too, and yes I know it's every writer's fantasy but I actually sit at my day job and fantasize. So good luck to you!

Anyway. Real reason I'm commenting is to say that Mythbusters is on Wednesday's and is awesome.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger glassblowerscat said...

I feel fortunate that in my case I almost do get to write full-time. That is, my employer is paying me to sit in a house and do almost no work; my presence is all that is required.

Of course, that means I have only laziness or disorganization to blame when I get nothing done.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Actually, the point is that the TV is on while Scrabble is being played -- so Scrabble and Dog is multitasking.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Nothing on Wednesday nights? Hellooo, Prject Runway.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I'm hooked on Project Runway (after nothing but plot, plot, plot all day, reality shows rock my boat), but that's not on until 10. And since my wife goes to bed at 10 (she gets up at 5:30 for work), I tape it, and we watch it on Thursdays.

Yes, I still have a VCR, and tape things.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tom said...

"Hello, TiVo? I'm Scott, and I need you."

Come on over, I've go three weeks of The Contender to catch up with. Balance you out from those runway viewings.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn right I want to read it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home