ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, March 17, 2006

Hey, I'm Now Pitching For The Atlanta Braves

Actually, I'm not, but someone with my exact name - Scott Mullen - is.

He's a left-handed pitcher who has been around for a while; he even won 4 games for the Royals 4 years ago, and pitched briefly for the Dodgers before heading to Japan, where he's played for the past few years.

It's weird having someone out there with your name, though. I know there are others, too; I've gotten phone calls from people trying to track down other guys named Scott Mullen (at least, so they claim). It's not that common of a last name, but it pops up other places; Mel Gibson's family's last name in RANSOM is Mullen.

I haven't seen a movie yet where my name comes up, but I'm sure that happens to people all the time. Lord help you if your name is Vito Corleone. Or Steve Stifler.

Or Jar-Jar Binks.

Whenever I google myself though, all I get is the pitcher. Which is actually sort of cool, because I've always loved baseball, and fantasized about being a star.

Hopefully the Braves will release him though. Because I'm a diehard Mets fan, and the Braves are the enemy. And hey, the Mets could use another lefty.

That's my fantasy, right there. A baseball card of Scott Mullen, in a Mets uniform.

Oh well. If I ever go to Japan, at least everyone will be able to pronounce my name, which is more than I can say for my mother-in-law.

18 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Blogger Webs said...

A Strat-O-Matic card with your name on it would be hella cool.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I'm a playmate from 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Ferguson

Which means someone is literally squatting on the domain name christinaferguson.com.

And I'm also a producer of one bad B-movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/p/christina_ferguson/

At least the person you share a name with isn't suspect!

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a children's book author. Trying to be a writer when there's already a writer with your name is a hassle. I'm thinking of using my middle name in place of my last name, like I do online, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger s.warren said...

I'm a gospel singer, the leader of a rockin' blues band, the host of an oldies country music show, personal trainer, actor (who's credits include Witchcraft XI: Sisters in Blood) AND currently a defensive tackle for the Green Bay Packers. I'm a very busy person.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

I have to go by MaryAn because Mary A. Batchellor sounds like a really bad pseudonym and there is a Mary Batchelor who is a published author.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger NailaJ said...

I'm a real estate agent :|

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Someone with my name got a hole-in-one on a tough golf course where the US Open was shot a few years back. I trot that out with people once in a while, but I can't pretend it was me for too long, I'm too damn honest.

When I was a kid, Scott, the other guys on my block made up phony names for ourselves in case we got in trouble. We were all Mullins brothers. Pretty close, eh?

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Tom -- Oh, so YOU were the reason the cops kept sniffing around our house....

Webs -- Strat-o-Matic used to come out with blank cards, so that you could write in the name of you or your friend. So somewhere, there is a Strat-o-Matic card with my name on it. And it was hella cool.

I think I was a .290 hitting second baseman without much power. So even in my fantasies, I was fairly honest.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said...

I've done nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I suppose I'll have to muster something on my own.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

http://www.dannygrossman.com/

-danny boy (the horror ... the horror ...)

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

LOL Danny, I know that's you, third from the left.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger ScriptWeaver said...

Actually, in Japan it would be Scott "Muhren."

(I'm allowed to say that since I'm half-Japanese. Ummm... okay I'm only allowed to say that half the time).

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

No one has my name.

Long sigh.

(Gun cocks, aim at face....)

BLAM!!!

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my real name.

Want surreal? How about every teacher you've ever had knew your name before they met you?

And they wanted to talk about it.

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, since you're going surreal, how about this?

I had a dream about you last night, even tho I have never met you. You lived in am enormous trailer and Kylie Minogue and Kate Moss were doing coke out the back and Glenn Close was dressed as Elizabeth I. Your wife was a dentist and I was your PA.

I couldn't make this shit up. Well obviously I could, because it was a dream, but...oh, you know what I mean. I blame it on spending too much time on blogspot and eating too many cadbury's creme eggs.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Aside from my wife not being a dentist, the rest is all true.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

The first thing that sprang to my mind was ScriptWeaver's comment. The second was how, exactly, DOES your mother-in-law pronounce your name?

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

She's Mexican, where the double-l is pronounced like a "y" sound. So she can't get her brain around my name, though she's getting closer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home