ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Sunday, February 05, 2006

One Of Those "Only In LA" Moments....

To set the stage, it's Super Bowl Sunday.

I'm about to make a run to the supermarket for Super Bowl snacks, and I mention to my wife that I read a poll the other day.

Only 3% of people under 50 who were going to watch the Super Bowl planned to do it alone. But 22% of the over-50 crowd who were going to watch the game were going to do so alone.

My wife thought this was sad. So I jokingly told her that if I saw a senior citizen alone at the grocery store, I'd bring him home.

So I go down to the grocery store, and I'm prowling the aisles, and there he is, pushing a cart of his own.

The perfect LA senior citizen.

A bit crazy-looking.

Wild gray hair.

Colorful shirt, unbuttoned to his belly-button...

Revealing a gray-haired chest, and a few tattoos.

All alone, shopping.

And I should have brought him home.

I should have gone up to him, and said, "Hey, c'mon back to my place, we'll have some beer, and some chips and salsa, and we'll watch the game".

But I didn't.

But I should have.

Because it would have meant I was a nice guy?

No.

Because it was David Carradine.

Only in LA.

7 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

And you didn't, why?

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Grubber said...

He was afraid the Deadly Viper Assisination Squad was around, and Carridine was just a decoy.

Your reluctance is understandable.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Grubber said...

Assassination....bloody hell..fingers need chopping off!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Christina said...

That's beautiful. He probably would have come home with you.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Julie O'Hora said...

I hope you at least gave him your spare change...

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger aggiebrett said...

Dammit, you've denied us critical need-to-know information here:

What was in his shopping cart?"

For some reason I get giggly when imagining the moment of discovery that David Carradine is well and truly cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Besides, think of how cool that scene could have been when you came home from the store: "Look, Honey! I found a stray Carradine! Can we keep him?"
.
.
.
B

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said...

2 Dill Pickles
A Bag of Marshmallows
And a single garbonzo bean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home