ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, January 05, 2006

So I Did Sneak Into a Movie Last Weekend...

Not sure if I was the only one, but 10 points, I win.

The wife and I snuck into "Memoirs of a Geisha" after seeing "Brokeback Mountain", which aren't the best two movies to double-up on if only because they are both about 2 1/2 hours long.

Geisha isn't as bad as a lot of the reviews would have you believe; it looks good, and the story works if you can buy into it. But the main character is a bit too passive, and it's hard to really care about the central "romance".

We did the sneak in a 16-screen multiplex, and it wasn't even hard; apparently the staff is only st a level to clean theaters and not to keep an eye on other ones. I didn't see an usher the whole time.

We did drop $16 on the candy stand before Brokeback, so I don't feel too guilty. The only people that lost out were the people who made Geisha, but it's their fault for not making a movie worth paying to see.

I also saw "Pride and Prejudice" last week. Liked it a lot.

7 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Heard that the soundtrack for Geisha is one of John Williams' best. What say you, Scott? Should I go ahead and buy it without seeing the movie?

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Didn't stick with me, so hard to say.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Konrad West said...

I sort of snuck: the airconditioning wasn't working very well, so at the end of The Family Stone, which was fantastic, I went to the ticket people, complained, got a refund, and used said refund to buy a ticket to Mrs Henderson Presents (also fantastic, but in a different way).

Does that count?

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Eleanor said...

Bah! Humbug!

So you movie sneakers aren't the type of writers who care about their potential percentage of the box office gross, as and when you do get a film made, huh?

Call me killjoy. ;)

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said...

Sorry Konrad, no dice.

That's back-dooring the spirit of the event. Are you sure you're not a lawyer? If you look hard enough, I think you will see that you've passed the Bar exam at some point in your past.

You have to break all the rules, and risk hard time.

I say, go one further, go to a multiplex where you can buy candy before going into the theater, then just stride up to the doorman like you own the place wave an old stub and say you've already been in. If you are over 25, I almost guarantee you will never be stopped.

You get extra points if you are blatantly carrying a parcel of food that is not sold by the establishment.

This may not work in the hardened cities, but in the burbs I think you're golden.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger s.warren said...

I'm friends with some of the workers at my local theater. They work concessions and take tickets so, when they're in, I pretty much can come and go as I please. Sneaking in really doesn't have the bent appeal for me it does others. It's just another night at the theater.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Wamba said...

I hate to be the fearmonger, but I used to be a theater manager, and I have to admit I really did call the cops when I caught kids sneaking into the theater. I never did it for someone who hopped to a second movie after one they paid for. I just did it when someone sneaked in without paying at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home