ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Putting My $60 Notes Offer Back Out There

So having given a double-handful of people notes over the past few months, I've discovered something interesting.

I'm good at it. And it feels good to read scripts that need work, and actually be able to help the writer take it to the next level. And from the feedback I've gotten, everyone seems to be very very pleased with the experience.

Having read some friends' scripts, that were much closer to being done, I've also realized that I'm not that great a polish guy. I can spot story flaws and see moments that can be better, but, in carpentry terms, I'm better with a hammer than with the fine sandpaper.

So, in anticipation of work being slow over the next six weeks (as it always is in this business) -- and determined to juggle in my own writing as well -- I'm going to wave my arms, and yell that if you want to take me up on my offer, it had probably be before New Year's.

Because I have a feeling that, come January, I'm going to be swamped by all my clients again, and I'm probably going to have to shut it down or limit it considerably.

Again, the ground rules:

Script notes, 3-5 pages. Not a synopsis, not basic coverage, but actual script notes. You should get them back in less than a week. 10 days max, unless it gets crazy, and then I'll give you a heads-up.

I'll do them for $60. Paid in advance, Check, cash, money order. I'm even now set up for Paypal.

I don't want anyone sending me scripts in hopes that I think they are great, and will pass them on to someone else. I'm not going to do that. If they are great, enter them in a contest. Win. Become rich.

I want to read scripts in which the writer is stuck, or needs a push, or some direction. Where I can give you pages and pages of story/structure/character notes, and you'll happily launch into a rewrite. Where I will happily throw you batches of creative ideas, which you can dismiss with a shrug, or embrace as your own.

I will tear your baby apart. I'll tell you a few good things, and then most of the report will focus on what doesn't work. If you don't want your baby torn apart, don't hire me.

I won't teach you how to write. If you don't know how to properly format a script, then you'd be better off investing in screenwriting books.

If you think your script is great, and you want to get good coverage and a road to the studios, I'm not that guy.

If you think your script could be great, and it's driving you crazy that you can't get it there, I can help.

(And I promise, I won't make fun of your script on this blog. That's reserved for people with agents and/or careers, who still write sloppily).

If it's something you might want to explore, now or in the future, let me know. My e-mail address is in my profile...

9 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I e-mailed you about this when you first posted the offer. I'd like to take advantage of it, but I don't think my script will be ready for a few more months. Can you reserve a spot for me a few months down the road? Thanks.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger writergurl said...

Scott, you have mail...

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Mommy Bunny said...

Speaking of which, your notes were spot on. If I only had time to do the rewrite.

Sleep is for the weak.

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to enter Scriptalooza this year (earlybird entry Jan 6) so I will get this puppy I am working on now all ready for ya. Paypal prefered and happy to see. The only reason I haven't sent it to you yet is that it was rough, needed new opening, etc...

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would definatly be interested in taking you up on this offer, though not for many months (years?) when I finally finish a script that I want to move to the net step with.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Scott's got my vote. I just sent him my 4th script and can't wait to get the notes. On all the previous ones I sent, the notes were PERFECT, right on target. Detailed & thoughtful, he helped me out A LOT!

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll be sending you something. i just have to decide what & when.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Got very good notes from you last time, Scott, and appreciate your candor. May take advantage of your offer for another project.

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm giving Scott's services a try. When the notes come in, I'll be commenting here. Looking forward to some notes with no punches pulled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home