ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Look At Me, I'm Writing

It has been a tough year for me writing-wise. Early in the year, a friend was trying to set up a reading for my frozen-time script in New York, but I just couldn't get very enthusiastic about my notes, and when the reading kept getting delayed that rewrite went by the wayside.

I was determined to do a polish of my supernatural thriller, which centers on a woman who can talk to ghosts. But then came Medium and Ghost Whisperer, and even though my plotline is much more film-worthy, it just doesn't seem all that fresh any more. So I was doing a little work on it here or there, but there was always something else to do. A lot of reading, time with the wife, moving. Writing has been back-burnered for a long time.

In many respects, I started this blog to force myself to write, to be creative, to force myself to put down words-on-paper on a consistent basis. And it's working.

Plus, reading work has been a bit slow recently. So this is the time when I should be writing, when I have the time to.

And then, the other day, a movie idea pops into my head. And the more I think about it, the more interesting it gets, and the more ideas I jot down. The structure is there, the characters are there. It's a horror movie, and I think I can make it freaky, and scary, and exciting.

So I started typing last night, after my wife went to bed. The first script I've started from scratch in a couple of years.

I did four pages in the middle, which isn't the way I usually write at all; I'm usually a front-to-back-in-order kind of guy. But the scene was vivid in my head, and it flowed easily.

Today, I've done six more pages. A short opening bit, more from the middle, and the last two pages. Now I've just got to fill in everything in between. But the story is there. I've named all the characters. The sequences are filling themselves in in my head.

Look at me, I'm writing.

11 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Grubber said...

Congratulations!!! You can hear the excitement in your writing!
cheers
Dave.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No outline? What are you crazy! ;)

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger PJ McIlvaine said...

Good for you!!!

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear!
Keep it up and I look forward to seeing it at the movies ;)

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're taking time for your own writing, Scott.

I love the genre. Let me know if you need someone to read.

Daniel L

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Matt Waggoner said...

Using a blog as an impetus to write more? But... but... blogs are what writers do so that we don't have to write!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Yeah, I know. It's a conundrum.

But the more sex and violence I put in my script, the less I'll have to use here.

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't you just love when the flow starts flowing? when a fresh idea hits me I can fill a notebook in one night of ideas and I get so excited I can't speak for days (my wife loves it)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, man. Also just wanted to let you know that part 1 of the Super Mario Bros. story is there now.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Dave Olden said...

Let me join in on the congrats, and just say what I would want to read from you were I actually productive:

Stopping reading this comment and get back to writing!

:)

Cheers,

DaveO

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger PJ McIlvaine said...

It's like riding a bike or having sex, you never forget how to do it. Now let me get back to that column I'm supposed to be writing for Done Deal. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home