ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, August 10, 2007

Weekend Box Office #44

A somewhat-underwhelming weekend at the box office, aside maybe for Stardust. It might be time to catch up on some older releases that you have missed.

New films:

RUSH HOUR 3 (3778 theaters). The first two movies were solid enough that this will likely have a good opening weekend; people like to laugh. But the reviews have been pretty poor, and look for it to drop big on weekend two. Prediction: $51.1 million in its first 3 days.

STARDUST (2540 theaters). I don't know why, but the commercials seem a little cheesy to me, and Robert DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer seem like they are overacting. Still, it's getting generally-good reviews, so it might work. $17.8 million.

DADDY DAY CARE (2332 theaters). This is currently at an abysmal 2% on Rotten Tomatoes -- that's 1 good review out of 47. It opened on Monday in 9th place, which is awful considering it was the only movie opening that day. Remember when Cuba Gooding Jr. had a respectable career? $5.3 million.

SKINWALKERS (737 theaters). They didn't screen it for critics, and haven't been advertising it much. $1.7 million.

4 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

You posted at 9:30 a.m., and I'm the first to post at 7:40 p.m.!? Guess your last blog post wore the peanunt gallery out...

RUSH HOUR: think Chris Tucker will be funny, think the rest of the movie will be forgetible. Will see it when it comes out to DVD.

STARDUST: Sign of the times: DeNiro and Pfeiffer aren't getting quality roles anymore. Looks TOTALLY forgetible.

DADDY DAY CARE: Will only see this if someone slips me a "roofie" (whatever that is) and staps me to my recliner.

SKINWALKERS: Poster for some reason reminded me of "Ultra Violet," which was one of biggest waists of an hour and a half I've ever had.

Overall, bad weekend for new movies. Glad I have to work tommorrow, may get to go to Westport on Sunday and fish for salmon. Mmm... yummy salmon!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I've heard good things about Stardust, favorable comparisons to The Princess Bride are a good thing, but they don't seem able to sell it, all the trailers just make it look dumb, and I don't think it is.

Rush Hour - Yawn - 39 million.
Stardust - 8 million
Daddy Lame Camp (Directed by Fred Savage!) - 10 million

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rush Hour 3 -- Reviews have been luke warm at best, but no one has heard Chris Tucker squeak in a while (whether this is good or bad, remains in the eye, and ear, of the beholder), and lotsa people can never get enough Jackie -- though aparently he doesn't do as much stunt work in this. Entropy. Anyway -- $50 mil.

Stardust -- AWESOME book (though I never read the original illustrated novel version). I'll agree that the commercials aren't doing it for me, but I've also heard all of the Princess Bride comparisons, including two from friends who went to previews of it a couple of weeks back, and those friends' opinions are worth it. Pfeiffer can overact if she wants in the role -- it'd work. DeNiro -- I dunno why he even has a role in this. The book character was very minor. Ah, well. Adaptation. -- I wanna see $20 mil.

Daddy Day Camp -- Geez. $8 mil.

Skinwalkers -- Saw only one trailer for it, over and over, no variation. Nothing grabbed me. I don't think many will notice or care. $2.

That is all gentlemen. May your weekends be stap free.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

It's funny how little effort the studio is putting into Rush Hour. You'd think they'd be pushing the hell out of this movie, but it's like they gave up. Not a good sign.

I plan to see Stardust. I'd like to see a film that looks like it didn't come off the Hollywood replicator machine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home