ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, August 03, 2007

Weekend Box Office #43

So this weekend it's all about THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, which is getting great reviews. Otherwise, the new releases are all fairly forgettable.

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (3660 theaters). Supposedly it's a quick-paced thrill ride, even if it turns out to not be about all that much. Sounds good to me; look for it to do about $64 million this weekend.

UNDERDOG (3013 theaters). This really looks dreadful from the commercials, and they didn't screen it for critics. Little kids will probably drag a parent to see it, but it's hard to imagine anyone over the age of 10 getting too excited at the prospect. It'll make about $9.3 million.

HOT ROD (2607 theaters). Apparently it's minor-league dumb fun. If the theater is air conditioned, it might be worth it. $9.0 million.

BRATZ (1509 theaters). Currently has 8% good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I suppose there a tween girl audience out there for this, but I don't think it's a big one. $4.0 million.

EL CANTANTE (542 theaters). You'd think Jennifer Lopez would have learned her lesson about doing movies with her significant other, but maybe she gets lonely on the set. $1.8 million.

What are you all going to see this weekend? I'm going to try and catch Simpsons and Bourne.

6 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Got a house full of relatives in town for my brother's wedding, tommorrow, so I probably won't go to the movies this weekend. I am honning my horse pitching skills (?) tough.

When your preview IS outtakes of a dog speaking, you're movie is in REAL trouble. Not sure how "Underdog" will do, guess that'll depend on just how stupid the American public has become. I won't go see it, BUT I do like Jason Lee's voice.

VERRY FUNNY Jennifer Lopez slam, Scott, "... maybe she gets lonely on the set." "El Cantante" looks like a total dud.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughters are big into the Bratz dolls, but the movie trailers don't even register with them. Not even a response when it comes on. This will bomb big time.

chris

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Whatever, haters. I'm going to see The Bratz movie.

I hope there's a sequel.

Brattitude, bitches. Have some.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Emily, you never cease to amaze me. You may be the only person in America LOOKING FORWARD to seeing, "Bratz."

With that in mind I'm puttin' you in charge of a secret, co-vert op. (Never served in the armed forces, BUT I did play with G.I. Joes so I do feel empowered) Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to actually sit through all of "Bratz" and tell us something, anything, that was good about it. Like I said, you might have to watch the whole movie and then some.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I didn't get time to watch it this weekend but I do plan to go see the movie.

The reason is actually quite simple. They shot the film at my school. All the major scenes take place inches from where I was standing, watching the proceedings.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Post Mortem:

The Bourne Ultimatum did $69.2, so I was sort of close.

Underdog did $11.5. It'll probably drop like a stone this weekend.

Hot Rod did only $5.3, which for that many screens is pretty bad. I guess Andy Samberg isn't a breakout star yet.

Bratz did $4.2. I was pretty close on that one.

El Cantante did $3.2, which isn't terrible on that few screens, though probably not good enough to get much of an expansion, particularly with the largely-unenthusiastic reviews that it got.

The Simpson's Movie dropped 66% in its second weekend. Ay carumba. I saw it, and it's amusing, but I feel no great urge to see it again in theaters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home