ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, June 01, 2007

Apologies.... and Weekend Box Office #34

This is the longest I've ever gone without posting, and I wish I could say that I was writing my ass off all week, but it isn't true.

I've just been swamped with work. And the holiday weekend. And I had a birthday in there somewhere.

But here I am. Apologies. I'll be back again soon.

Anyhow, there are three movies opening wide this weekend:

KNOCKED UP (2871 theaters). I've been looking forward to this; I like Judd Apatow's work a lot, from FREAKS AND GEEKS to UNDECLARED to THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, and his method of improvisation while the camera is rolling seems to work. Early buzz is very good (it's currently at 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 85 positive reviews out of 92), and I'll see it this weekend. $33.8 million.

MR. BROOKS (2453 theaters). They are trying to sell this hard, but I'm not so sure people want to see Kevin Costner as a killer. Still, it'll do something. $13.6 million.

GRACIE (1164 theaters). I read this, and it feels like a Disney Channel movie. $2.0 million.

Look for PIRATES 3 to grab the top spot, with about $55 million or so; I haven't seen it yet, but I may squeeze it in this weekend.

5 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

fYou mean to tell me you have a life, Scott? I thought you just existed to inspire me and the masses through your witty blogs?!

No need to appolgize, Scott.

I think "Mr. Brooks" looks promicing BECAUSE Kevin Costner is the bad guy. One of my favorite Kevin Costner films is the one where he's cavoring across the counryside with a little kid, trying to say one step ahead of the law. LOVED "Waterworld" and "Tin Cup" too. But it seams like lately Kevin's been in a lot of, lets just say, "uninspired" movie roles. Personally, I hope "Mr. Brooks" does well because I'd like to see more movies with Kevin Costner in them. What about this: a movie with Kurt Russell AND Kevin Costner pitted against each other -- I'd pay to see that!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Suburban Screenwriter said...

There is a movie where Kurt and Kevin are pitted against each other. it's called 3000 miles from Graceland. it didn't look too good to me have only seen parts of it on TV.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger IQCrash said...

Been looking forward to Knocked Up myself. I'm a huge fan of Appatow's since Undeclared (superior to Freaks & Geeks, IMHO). I'm hoping it takes the top spot - but that's asking a lot.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Saw Knocked Up - Great, great movie. The totals that I've heard:

Pirates 45 mil
Knocked Up 29 mil
Shrek 26 mil
Brooks - 9 mil
Gracie - 1

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

Happy Birthday, Scott!!!!!!!!!!!
Scribe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home