ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, May 25, 2007

Weekend Box Office #33

This weekend PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END sets another record, opening in 4362 theaters, on over 11,000 screens.

I'm not sure it'll break SPIDERMAN 3's recent 3-day-weekend box office record, because the last PIRATES movie was a bit underwhelming, and audiences might take a wait-and-see approach to this one. Plus it's a reported 2 hours and 47 minutes long, which means that the number of showings is going to be cut down each day.

Still, with 11,000 screens, you don't need a lot of showings.

I'm going to predict $138 million for the first three days, though it could do more, particularly with Sunday being the day before a holiday. The numbers will also be confused by the fact that they started showing the movie at 8 last night.

Figure it'll probably do $175-200 million through Monday, counting Thursday night and Monday.

The only other movie opening wide is BUG, which opens on 1661 screens. Look for it to do about $8 million for the four-day weekend.

7 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger IQCrash said...

I have hopes that POTC 3 will do right where 2 went wrong.

BUG, on the other hand, makes me want to shrivel up and die. And not in a good way.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was suprised to hear that many of my friends who loved POTC 1 were very turned off by 2. Some are staying away until they hear more.

I have one friend who went to an early screening who said they did fix some of 2's mistakes, but didn't elaborate.

The theatre I saw Spidey 3 in buzzed when the POTC 3 trailer was run, so, I dunno.

I'll say $140 mil for the Pirates, and $6.5 for the Bug.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Hey Scott, do you ever doubt the wisdom of the studios to open Spiderman 3, Shriek 3 and Pirates of Caribean 3 in the same month!!! What's up with that? Seams like the rest of the summer is going to be quite uneventfull.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Team Brindle said...

I thought that PIRATES #1 was good entertainment but nothing earth shattering.

Thought #2 was a silly, boring piece of crap.

I'm seriously thinking of skipping #3.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

They're figuring it should hit around 150 million by Monday.

Bug - 4 mil.

Shrek should make in the mid 60s.

Spidey should make around 16 mil.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Saw Pirates last night. Not great, but not terrible either. The line was crazy long, though. I had to put the smack down on line breakers.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Does anyone seriously expect anything OTHER than good entertainment from a movie based on an amusement park ride? I saw it last night too. I'm not sure about it yet, but while it was a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and the nearly three hours flew by even with it starting almost an hour late, I didn't find it was compelling or fun as the first two. Which doesn't mean it sucked by any means.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home